SYS_DVBS vs. SYS_DVBS2

Hello experts,

hope I'm on the correct list for my question. Plese give me a pointer to the
correct list if I'm off-topic here.

I would like to know how to know whether for a specific program SYS_DVBS or
SYS_DVBS2 should be specified to the FE_SET_PROPERTY ioctl() call.

Is this somehow broadcasted in some PAT/PMT tables?

Or is it possible to simple always specify SYS_DVBS2 and the kernel will
manage the backwards compatibilities when a DVB-S transponder is specified in
the tuning parameters?

Thanks for the help,

--
Josef Wolf