Re: Bug in stkwebcam?

Hi Andreas,

On 22/11/2018 19:23, Andreas Pape wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I recently updated my old 2006 Asus A6VM notebook with the latest 32bit
> Ubuntu 18.04 LTS (kernel 4.15.0) and found out that the driver for the
> webcam (Syntek USB2.0, USB ID 174f:a311) was not working. I only got error
> messages like "Sensor resetting failed" in dmesg when starting guvcview
> for example.
>
> Far from being an expert for video devices, I tried to debug this and
> figured out three patches to make the webcam work again on my old notebook
> (at least I get a video again ;-).

Excellent - that sounds like you've worked out the hard part :-)

> I know the type of notebook and webcam is pretty old and the driver seems
> not to be actively maintained anymore although still being part of actual
> kernel versions.
>
> Is there still an interest in getting patches for such an old device? If
> yes, I could try to rebase my patches to the actual version of media_tree.git
> and post them to the mailing list.

If it's a USB webcam, then it could be plugged into any newer PC/Laptop
too, so I would say there is still merit in identifying the fault and
fixing it if feasible.

I don't think it would hurt to send the patches at least.

Feel free to CC me when you do.

Regards
--
Kieran