Re: [linux-dvb] siano firmware and behaviour after resuming power

On Thu, 2009-12-03 at 14:38 +0100, Luca Olivetti wrote:
> En/na BOUWSMA Barry ha escrit:
>
> >> I found a something here
> >>
> >> http://marc.info/?l=linux-usb-users&m=116827193506484&w=2
> >>
> >> that purportedly resets an usb device.
> >> What I tried was, before powering off:
> >>
> >> 1) unload the drivers
> >> 2) use the above to reset the stick
> >> 3) power off
> >>
> >> and, before loading the drivers, issue a reset again.
> >> Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, the end result is that I cannot
> >> leave the device plugged-in if I want to use it.

I've also got a siano card, but in my case it's embedded in my Dell
laptop, so yanking it out and plugging it back in isn't even an option.

The card is however a USB device and I've included the lsusb -v output
at the end in case it's useful.

I've tried the firmware you're referring too, but there's also a request
for sms1xxx-nova-b-dvbt-01.fw in the dmesg and this is asked for first
(in my case), with a siano supplied one sought if it can't find this
first one.

I'm not having problems with cold restarts, but suspend/hibernate sees
the things go bad on resume.

I've added some stuff to /etc/pm/sleep.d which unloads the modules and
then reloads then on resume.  It's a simple script:

#!/bin/bash
case $1 in
 hibernate)
  echo "Suspending to disk"
  modprobe -r smsdvb
  modprobe -r smsusb
 ;;
 suspend)
  echo "Suspending to RAM"
  modprobe -r smsdvb
  modprobe -r smsusb
 ;;
 thaw)
  echo "Suspend to disk is over, Resuming..."
  modprobe smsdvb
  modprobe smsusb
 ;;
 resume)
  echo "Suspend to RAM is over, Resuming..."
  modprobe smsdvb
  modprobe smsusb
 ;;
 *)
  echo "somebody is calling me totally wrong."
 ;;
esac

This addresses these problems for me.  You might be able to add
something similar to /etc/pm/power.d to unload modules to address the
problem.

Rodd

Bus 001 Device 003: ID 2040:1801 Hauppauge
Device Descriptor:
  bLength                18
  bDescriptorType         1
  bcdUSB               2.00
  bDeviceSubClass         0
  bDeviceProtocol         0
  bMaxPacketSize0        64
  idVendor           0x2040 Hauppauge
  idProduct          0x1801
  bcdDevice            0.01
  iManufacturer           1 Hauppauge Computer Works
  iProduct                2 WinTV-NOVA
  iSerial                 3 f05eb5ec
  bNumConfigurations      1
  Configuration Descriptor:
    bLength                 9
    bDescriptorType         2
    wTotalLength           32
    bNumInterfaces          1
    bConfigurationValue     1
    iConfiguration          0
    bmAttributes         0x80
      (Bus Powered)
    MaxPower              500mA
    Interface Descriptor:
      bLength                 9
      bDescriptorType         4
      bInterfaceNumber        0
      bAlternateSetting       0
      bNumEndpoints           2
      bInterfaceClass       255 Vendor Specific Class
      bInterfaceSubClass    255 Vendor Specific Subclass
      bInterfaceProtocol    255 Vendor Specific Protocol
      iInterface              0
      Endpoint Descriptor:
        bLength                 7
        bDescriptorType         5
        bEndpointAddress     0x81  EP 1 IN
        bmAttributes            2
          Transfer Type            Bulk
          Synch Type               None
          Usage Type               Data
        wMaxPacketSize     0x0200  1x 512 bytes
        bInterval               0
      Endpoint Descriptor:
        bLength                 7
        bDescriptorType         5
        bEndpointAddress     0x02  EP 2 OUT
        bmAttributes            2
          Transfer Type            Bulk
          Synch Type               None
          Usage Type               Data
        wMaxPacketSize     0x0200  1x 512 bytes
        bInterval               0
Device Qualifier (for other device speed):
  bLength                10
  bDescriptorType         6
  bcdUSB               2.00
  bDeviceClass          255 Vendor Specific Class
  bDeviceSubClass       255 Vendor Specific Subclass
  bDeviceProtocol       255 Vendor Specific Protocol
  bMaxPacketSize0        64
  bNumConfigurations      1
Device Status:     0x0000
  (Bus Powered)