Re: [linux-dvb] Compro VideoMate U80 DVB-T USB 2.0 High Definition Digital TV Stick

drappa wrote:
Hi All

http://www.comprousa.com/en/product/u80/u80.html

I'd be grateful if anyone can tell me if this device is supported yet, and if so, any pointers to getting it working.

Thanks
Drappa

In the absence of any feedback to my query, I had a look at the driver entry for this device in a Win7 system.
It shows as:  Videomate U1xx Digital Series
The driver was written by Realtek and is version 5.55.828.2009
So, I guess there may be a number of devices in this series with the same chipset.
Does this ring any bells with anyone?

Thanks
Drappa

Hi drappa,
Things do seem quiet, so perhaps a couple of controversial remarks will liven it up.

Several months ago I bought a USB dual DVB-T tuner (KWorld PlusTV) and was in a similar position to you, just a different model of stick. With Windows, the job would have been straightforward, as Windows has an architecture for adding new USB products. A couple of entries in the registry, a driver for the chipset, and you're away. With Linux, you've a choice of spending 35 hours trying to patch and recompile the kernel so that the new device is recognised, or if that sounds too onerous, wait 6 to 12 months until it's included in the standard kernel.

While I recognise that I cannot legitimately complain, since Linux is a take-it-or-leave-it arrangement where if there's a problem, I should ideally volunteer to fix it myself, I still do think that it's bizarre that a recompile of the kernel is needed. I ask myself why it is not possible to have a database of devices (like the Windows registry) which can be easily updated. This would allow simple installation of new products which use chipsets identical to existing supported products.

[The outcome with my tuner so far.... after a failed attempt at patching the kernel, I waited till 2.6.32 kernel was available, upon which the device was recognised, but still can only get one of the two tuners operating. This will likely be the subject of a separate forum thread in the near future.]

Sorry I cannot shed light on your particular model of tuner.

I will conclude by saying incidentally, that I have been a very satisifed user of mythTV (with multiple PCI tuners) for the last two and a bit years.

dave