Re: [RFC] dvb-apps ported for ISDB-T

Hello Mauro,

On Fri, Dec 25, 2009 at 7:09 AM, Mauro Carvalho Chehab
<mchehab@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Em 24-12-2009 00:17, Mauro Carvalho Chehab escreveu:
>> I wrote several patches those days in order to allow dvb-apps to properly
>> parse ISDB-T channel.conf.
>>
>> On ISDB-T, there are several new parameters, so the parsing is more complex
>> than all the other currently supported video standards.
>>
>> I've added the changes at:
>>
>> http://linuxtv.org/hg/~mchehab/dvb-apps-isdbt/
>>
>> I've merged there Patrick's dvb-apps-isdbt tree.
>>
>> While there, I fixed a few bugs I noticed on the parser and converted it
>> to work with the DVB API v5 headers that are bundled together with dvb-apps.
>> This helps to avoid adding lots of extra #if DVB_ABI_VERSION tests. The ones
>> there can now be removed.
>>
>> TODO:
>> =====
>>
>> The new ISDB-T parameters are parsed, but I haven't add yet a code to make
>> them to be used;
>>
>> There are 3 optional parameters with ISDB-T, related to 1seg/3seg: the
>> segment parameters. Currently, the parser will fail if those parameters are found.
>>
>> gnutv is still reporting ISDB-T as "DVB-T".
>>

> I've just fixed the issues on the TODO list. The DVB v5 code is now working fine
> for ISDB-T.
>
> Pending stuff (patches are welcome):
>        - Implement v5 calls for other video standards;
>        - Remove the duplicated DVBv5 code on /util/scan/scan.c (the code for calling
> DVBv5 is now at /lib/libdvbapi/v5api.c);
>        - Test/use the functions to retrieve values via DVBv5 API. The function is
> already there, but I haven't tested.
>
> With the DVBv5 API implementation, zap is now working properly with ISDB-T.
> gnutv also works (although some outputs - like decoder - may need some changes, in
> order to work with mpeg4/AAC video/audio codecs).

Few comments on your changes (that came up on a first glance):

- dvb-apps don't need a DCO (S-O-B) as for kernel related code (though
not an issue, whether it is there or not)

- changeset 1334 is a regression:

dvb-apps look at libraries that are shipped with the distribution
alone. The headers in there are a copy for szap2 alone for test cases
and szap2 is not a generic application such as zap and hence doesn't
need to be ported.

- get_v5_frontend keeps on malloc with no free .....

- the basic design we have in the libraries is that we don't allow the
library to do the allocation but allocation is done by the user
(application)

- the library is not meant to handle the basic in-kernel API alone,
there are others that's the whole intention for the library.

- changeset 1341 is broken

Regards,
Manu