Re: [RFC] V4L2_PIX_FMT_MJPEG vs V4L2_PIX_FMT_JPEG

Em Mon, 1 Oct 2018 18:19:21 +0100
Dave Stevenson <dave.stevenson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> escreveu:

> Hi All,
>
> On Mon, 1 Oct 2018 at 17:32, Ezequiel Garcia <ezequiel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Hans,
> >
> > Thanks for looking into. I remember MJPEG vs. JPEG being a source
> > of confusion for me a few years ago, so clarification is greatly
> > welcome :-)
> >
> > On Mon, 2018-10-01 at 15:03 +0300, Laurent Pinchart wrote:
> > > Hi Hans,

> > > What I can tell for sure is that many UVC devices don't include Huffman tables
> > > in their JPEG headers.

> > JPEG frames must include huffman and quantization tables, as per the standard.
> >
> > AFAIK, there's no MJPEG specification per-se and vendors specify its own
> > way of conveying a Motion JPEG stream.
>
> There is the specfication for MJPEG in Quicktime containers, which
> defines the MJPEG-A and MJPEG-B variants [1].
> MJPEG-B is not a concatenation of JPEG frames as the framing is
> different, so can't really be combined into V4L2_PIX_FMT_JPEG.
> Have people encountered devices that produce MJPEG-A or MJPEG-B via
> V4L2? I haven't, but I have been forced to support both variants on
> decode.

Checking it is not an easy task. I *suspect* that those cameras are all
MJPEG-A, as the libv4l decoder uses tinyjpeg library to handle both
JPEG and MJPEG.

Maybe Hans de Goede knows more about that, and may have actually tested
it with different camera models.

> On that thought, whilst capture devices generally don't care, is there
> a need to differentiate for M2M codec devices which can support
> encoding the variants? Or likewise on M2M decoders that support only
> JPEG, how do they tell userspace that they don't support MJPEG-A or
> MJPEG-B?
>
>   Dave
>
> [1] https://developer.apple.com/standards/qtff-2001.pdf
>
> > For instance, omiting the huffman table seems to be a vendor thing. Microsoft
> > explicitly omits the huffman tables from each frame:
> >
> > https://www.fileformat.info/format/bmp/spec/b7c72ebab8064da48ae5ed0c053c67a4/view.htm
> >
> > Others could be following the same things.
> >
> > Like I mentioned before, Gstreamer always check for missing huffman table
> > and adds one if missing. Gstreamer has other quirks for missing markers,
> > e.g. deal with a missing EOI:
> >
> > https://github.com/GStreamer/gst-plugins-good/commit/10ff3c8e14e8fba9e0a5d696dce0bea27de644d7
> >
> > I think Hans suggestion of settling on JPEG makes sense and it would
> > be consistent with Gstreamer. Otherwise, we should specify exactly what we
> > understand by MJPEG, but I don't think it's worth it.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Ezequiel

Thanks,
Mauro