Re: [RFC,1/3] cpia2: move to staging in preparation for removal

Hi Andrea,

On 09/28/2018 03:03 PM, Andrea Merello wrote:
> I do often use this driver, and I'm interested in working on it for preventing it from being removed.
>
> I can perform functional test with my HW (usb microscope) on a kernel from current media tree (anyway currently it works on my box with a pretty recent kernel).
>
> How much effort is expected to be required to port it to vb2? I'm currently hacking on another (recent) v4l2 subdev driver, but my wknowledge of the v4l2/media framework is far from good.. If someone give me some directions then I can try to do that..

cpia2 has its own streaming I/O implementation. This should be completely replaced
by vb2. Easiest is to look at a fairly recent usb driver like usbtv to see how
it is done there.

The vb2 API is fairly clean (see include/media/videobuf2-core.h), but switching to
vb2 is a big-bang action, you can't switch a little bit, it is all or nothing.
So that makes this a big unreadable patch in the end. The v4l2-compliance utility
is your friend when testing this.

If you would be willing to work on this, then it's easiest if you use the #v4l channel
on freenode irc to ask questions (which I am sure you'll have).

It's a fair amount of work, I'm afraid. It would probably take me 1-2 days to convert
depending on how nice the rest of the cpia2 driver is.

Regards,

	Hans