Capturing camera frames from an i.MX51 board.

 Dear linux-media Developers,
I was assigned the task to port a recent kernel (4.18.6, downloaded from kernel.org) to an old imx51-babbage style board. It works with a 2.6.36 kernel.

I know, i.MX51 is "mature" in NXP lingo. Not supported anymore in my mind, but work is work.

The i.MX51 board uses a monochrome Aptina MT9V024 driver for the sensor. I patched the DTS and imx-media driver in drivers/staging/media/imx only to later find out that my experience was very similar to the one described in this thread:

https://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-media/msg129273.html

Trying to start a capture yields EPIPE from v4l2-ctl. Following pointers I found that the node pertaining the ipu_csi0 has two NULL pointers for sink and src_pad in the V4L2 subdev and csi_link_setup() in imx-media-csi.c is never invoked.

So I will not repeat the questions in the previous thread, because I suppose I would not get any answer. I have to evaluate which of these two paths costs less:

1. Debug imx-media for my architecture, knowing that it is really specialized for i.MX6.

2. Find another Linux kernel branch supporting i.MX51 and the Aptina driver.

 Is there any such thing as point (2)?

 I found:

http://git.freescale.com/git/cgit.cgi/imx/linux-imx.git/?h=imx_4.9.11_1.0.0_ga

but this branch directly supports OV564x sensors only. I have to minimize time/cost at this point, avoiding to write/rewrite a driver.

 Thank you in advance,
Antonio Tringali