Re: [RFP] Stateless Codec Userspace Support

On Fri, Sep 07, 2018 at 04:34:45PM +0200, Hans Verkuil wrote:
> Support for stateless codecs and Request API will hopefully be merged for
> 4.20, and the next step is to discuss how to organize the userspace support.
>
> Hopefully by the time the media summit starts we'll have some better ideas
> of what we want in this area.
>
> Some userspace support is available from bootlin for the cedrus driver:
>
>   - v4l2-request-test, that has a bunch of sample frames for various
>     codecs and will rely solely on the kernel request api (and DRM for
>     the display part) to test and bringup a particular driver
>     https://github.com/bootlin/v4l2-request-test
>
>   - libva-v4l2-request, that is a libva implementation using the
>     request API
>     https://github.com/bootlin/libva-v4l2-request
>
> But this is more geared towards testing and less a 'proper' implementation.

While the first one is definitely a test tool, I wouldn't consider the
latter as such. We have Kodi and VLC running with it, and we started
to work on using gstreamer on top of it, so it's definitely something
I would consider for real world use cases.

Maxime

--
Maxime Ripard, Bootlin
Embedded Linux and Kernel engineering