Re: [RFC] Request API and V4L2 capabilities

Em Sat, 4 Aug 2018 15:50:04 +0200
Hans Verkuil <hverkuil@xxxxxxxxx> escreveu:

> Hi all,
>
> While the Request API patch series addresses all the core API issues, there
> are some high-level considerations as well:
>
> 1) How can the application tell that the Request API is supported and for
>    which buffer types (capture/output) and pixel formats?
>
> 2) How can the application tell if the Request API is required as opposed to being
>    optional?

Huh? Why would it be mandatory?

> 3) Some controls may be required in each request, how to let userspace know this?
>    Is it even necessary to inform userspace?

Again, why would it need to have a set of mandatory controls for requests
to work? If this is really required,  it should have a way to send such
list to userspace.

> 4) (For bonus points): How to let the application know which streaming I/O modes
>    are available? That's never been possible before, but it would be very nice
>    indeed if that's made explicit.
>
> Since the Request API associates data with frame buffers it makes sense to expose
> this as a new capability field in struct v4l2_requestbuffers and struct v4l2_create_buffers.
>
> The first struct has 2 reserved fields, the second has 8, so it's not a problem to
> take one for a capability field. Both structs also have a buffer type, so we know
> if this is requested for a capture or output buffer type. The pixel format is known
> in the driver, so HAS/REQUIRES_REQUESTS can be set based on that. I doubt we'll have
> drivers where the request caps would actually depend on the pixel format, but it
> theoretically possible. For both ioctls you can call them with count=0 at the start
> of the application. REQBUFS has of course the side-effect of deleting all buffers,
> but at the start of your application you don't have any yet. CREATE_BUFS has no
> side-effects.
>
> I propose adding these capabilities:
>
> #define V4L2_BUF_CAP_HAS_REQUESTS	0x00000001

I'm OK with that.

> #define V4L2_BUF_CAP_REQUIRES_REQUESTS	0x00000002

But I'm not ok with breaking even more userspace support by forcing
requests.

> #define V4L2_BUF_CAP_HAS_MMAP		0x00000100
> #define V4L2_BUF_CAP_HAS_USERPTR	0x00000200
> #define V4L2_BUF_CAP_HAS_DMABUF		0x00000400

Those sounds ok to me too.

> If REQUIRES_REQUESTS is set, then HAS_REQUESTS is also set.
>
> At this time I think that REQUIRES_REQUESTS would only need to be set for the
> output queue of stateless codecs.

Same as before: I don't see the need of support a request-only driver.

> If capabilities is 0, then it's from an old kernel and all you know is that
> requests are certainly not supported, and that MMAP is supported. Whether USERPTR
> or DMABUF are supported isn't known in that case (just try it :-) ).
>
> Strictly speaking we do not need these HAS_MMAP/USERPTR/DMABUF caps, but it is very
> easy to add if we create a new capability field anyway, and it has always annoyed
> the hell out of me that we didn't have a good way to let userspace know what
> streaming I/O modes we support. And with vb2 it's easy to implement.

Yeah, that sounds a bonus to me too.

> Regarding point 3: I think this should be documented next to the pixel format. I.e.
> the MPEG-2 Slice format used by the stateless cedrus codec requires the request API
> and that two MPEG-2 controls (slice params and quantization matrices) must be present
> in each request.

Makes sense to document with the pixel format...

> I am not sure a control flag (e.g. V4L2_CTRL_FLAG_REQUIRED_IN_REQ) is needed here.

but it sounds worth to also have a flag.

> It's really implied by the fact that you use a stateless codec. It doesn't help
> generic applications like v4l2-ctl or qv4l2 either since in order to support
> stateless codecs they will have to know about the details of these controls anyway.

Yeah, but they could skip enum those ioctls if they see one marked with
V4L2_CTRL_FLAG_REQUIRED_IN_REQ and don't know how to use. Then, default
to not use request API.

Then, the driver would use a default that would work (even not providing
the best possible compression).

> So I am inclined to say that it is not necessary to expose this information in
> the API, but it has to be documented together with the pixel format documentation.
>
> Comments? Ideas?
>
> Regards,
>
> 	Hans

Thanks,