Re: why does aptina_pll_calculate insist on exact division?

Hi,

On Tue, Aug 14, 2018 at 10:30:14AM +0300, Laurent Pinchart wrote:
> Hi Helmut,
>
> (CC'ing Sakari Ailus who is our current PLL expert after spending so much time
> on the SMIA PLL code)
>
> On Tuesday, 14 August 2018 09:35:40 EEST Helmut Grohne wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I tried using the aptina_pll_calculate for a "new" imager and ran into
> > problems. After filling out aptina_pll_limits from the data sheet, I was
> > having a hard time finding a valid pix_clock. Most of the ones I tried
> > are rejected by aptina_pll_calculate for various reasons. In particular,
> > no pix_clock close to pix_clock_max is allowed.

On many systems where such sensors are being used, you generally need to
use known-good link frequencies that have no EMI issues. Therefore the PLL
calculator uses this input, as well as the bits per pixel etc. platform
specific inputs and hardware limits to come up with the pixel rate. At
least for smiapp PLL calculator this is the highest possible rate, taking
the constraints into account.

--
Sakari Ailus
e-mail: sakari.ailus@xxxxxx