mmap permissions failure on Raspberry Pi

I'm trying to use c++ to open a raspberry pi camera using v4l2. I found several examples that follow a standard set of operations:

open up the device (in my case /dev/video0)
using ioctl calls query capabilities and formats
set video format
request a buffer
query the buffer
and finally mmap the buffer

Everything works properly, I can open the device, query all of the capabilities and formats, set the format needed, request the buffer and query the buffer.
When I try to mmap the buffer I get permission denied. Here is the call I'm using:

buffer = (qint8 *)mmap(NULL, buf.length, PROT_READ | PROT_WRITE, MAP_SHARED, camera->handle(), buf.m.offset);

This is the same as the examples that I have seen. Also, I have tried it on both the Raspberry Pi camera and on a webcam.
I've checked the group and permissions for the /dev/video0 and /dev/shm and I don't see anything wrong. I even tried running my program as root with the same result.

I'm obviously missing something, but I don't see what it could be. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Greg Wilson-Lindberg