Re: DIY Satellite Web Radio

On Tue, Dec 1, 2009 at 12:42 AM, Mauro Carvalho Chehab
<mchehab@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Em 30-11-2009 17:13, OrazioPirataDelloSpazio (Lorenzo) escreveu:
>> Hi all,
>> I'm not a DVB expert but I'm wondering if this idea is feasible:
>> For an "amateur" web radio, for what I know, it is really hard to
>> being listened in cars, like people do with commercial satellite radio
>> [1] . Basically this is unaffortable for private user and this is
>> probably the most relevant factor that penalize web radios againt
>> terrestrial one.
>>
>> My question is: is there any way to use the current, cheap, satellite
>> internet connections to stream some data above all the coverage of a geo
>> satellite? and make the receiver handy (so without any dishes) ?
>
> Receiving sat signals without dishes? From some trials we had on a telco
> I used to work, You would need to use a network of low-orbit satellites,
> carefully choosing the better frequencies and it will provide you
> low bandwidth.
>
> This will likely cost a lot of money, if you find someone providing a
> service like that. One trial for such network were the Iridum
> project. AFAIK, the original company bankrupted due to the very high costs of
> launching and managing about a hundred satellite network.

Low orbital satellites aren't geo-stationary. Technically speaking, a
broadcaster would use only geo-stationary satellites for broadcast
services. The basic reason: A broadcaster simply would have rented out
a transponder on an existing satellite from a satellite operator, or
still: if the broadcaster is a major player, they would have a few
satellites of their own to provide coverage over multiple regions, but
still: they are indeed geo-stationary satellites (you will need a very
large number of satellites to provide services in a low orbital
position, similar to the Iridium network, which is not practically
feasible for a broadcaster. Even the Iridium network had a hard time
taking off!)

Regards,
Manu