Re: [RFC v2 00/10] Preparing the request API

Hi all,

On 03/23/2018 10:17 PM, Sakari Ailus wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> This preliminary RFC patchset prepares for the request API. What's new
> here is support for binding arbitrary configuration or resources to
> requests.
>
> There are a few new concepts here:
>
> Class --- a type of configuration or resource a driver (or e.g. the V4L2
> framework) can attach to a resource. E.g. a video buffer queue would be a
> class.
>
> Object --- an instance of the class. This may be either configuration (in
> which case the setting will stay until changed, e.g. V4L2 format on a
> video node) or a resource (such as a video buffer).
>
> Reference --- a reference to an object. If a configuration is not changed
> in a request, instead of allocating a new object, a reference to an
> existing object is used. This saves time and memory.
>
> I expect Laurent to comment on aligning the concept names between the
> request API and DRM. As far as I understand, the respective DRM names for
> "class" and "object" used in this set would be "object" and "state".
>
> The drivers will need to interact with the requests in three ways:
>
> - Allocate new configurations or resources. Drivers are free to store
>   their own data into request objects as well. These callbacks are
>   specific to classes.
>
> - Validate and queue callbacks. These callbacks are used to try requests
>   (validate only) as well as queue them (validate and queue). These
>   callbacks are media device wide, at least for now.
>
> The lifetime of the objects related to requests is based on refcounting
> both requests and request objects. This fits well for existing use cases
> whether or not based on refcounting; what still needs most of the
> attention is likely that the number of gets and puts matches once the
> object is no longer needed.
>
> Configuration can be bound to the request the usual way (V4L2 IOCTLs with
> the request_fd field set to the request). Once queued, request completion
> is signalled through polling the request file handle (POLLPRI).
>
> I'm posting this as an RFC because it's not complete yet. The code
> compiles but no testing has been done yet.

Thank you for this patch series. There are some good ideas here, but it is
quite far from being useful with Alexandre's RFCv4 series.

So this weekend I worked on a merger of this work and the RFCv4 Request API
patch series, taking what I think are the best bits of both.

It is available here:

https://git.linuxtv.org/hverkuil/media_tree.git/log/?h=reqv6

It compiles (although it expects that the media controller is selected in the
kernel config) and tomorrow I will start testing.

The goal of this series is to make the actual driver changes for existing drivers
as simple as possible and do almost all of the work in vb2 and the control framework.

See e.g. the patch adding support for requests to vim2m:

https://git.linuxtv.org/hverkuil/media_tree.git/commit/?h=reqv6&id=0703c330bb53068cdf92e485437c820a018766bc

Of course, this assumes that it actually works, which I'm sure it won't :-)
Hopefully by the end of the day tomorrow I have something that is actually
working.

The concept of media request objects was very useful and very easy to integrate.

Integrating vb2 was harder, esp. since the fence support has not been merged yet
and since that conflicts big time with the request API it is pretty certain that
that code will change.

The control handling of requests is still at the same level of RFCv4: it basically
just copies the current device state when controls are get/set/tried for the first
time for a request. It's good enough for now, but this needs more work to conform
to the Request API RFC.

Note that I didn't copy the 'sticky' concept. When you mark a request object as
'completed', then it just 'sticks around' until the request is freed.

If the request object is a resource (vb2 buffer), then you don't mark it as
completed, instead you just remove it from the request once you're finished
using it.

BTW, I think we seriously need to consider always enabling MEDIA_CONTROLLER
for V4L2. It really doesn't add much to the internal data structures and
having to do #ifdef CONFIG_MEDIA_CONTROLLER all the time is a pain (which
is why I ignored that in my code for now).

Regards,

	Hans