Re: [CN] Re: [DE] Re: coda: i.MX6 decoding performance issues for multi-streaming

Hello,

On 14/03/18 14:57, Philipp Zabel wrote:
On Wed, 2018-03-14 at 13:05 +0100, Javier Martin wrote:
Sorry everyone about my previous e-mail with all the HTML garbage. Here
is the plain text answer instead.

Hi Philipp,

thanks for your answer.

On 13/03/18 12:20, Philipp Zabel wrote:
  > Hi Javier,
  >
  > On Mon, 2018-03-12 at 17:54 +0100, Javier Martin wrote:
  >> Hi,
  >> we have an i.MX6 Solo based board running the latest mainline kernel
  >> (4.15.3).
  >>
  >> As part of our development we were measuring the decoding
performance of
  >> the i.MX6 coda chip.
  >>
  >> For that purpose we are feeding the decoder with 640x368 @ 30fps H.264
  >> streams that have been generated by another i.MX6 coda encoder
  >> configured with fixed qp = 25 and gopsize = 16.

Those are the defaults. Is the encoder running on the same system, at
the same time? Or are you decoding a previously encoded stream (multiple
previously encoded streams)?

The encoder is running on a different system with an older 4.1.0 kernel. Altough the firmware version in the code is 3.1.1 as well.

Do you think I should try updating the system in the encoder to kernel 4.15 too and see if that makes any difference?

[...]
I'm currently using 3.1.1 both for encoding and decoding. I think I got
it from the latest BSP provided by NXP. Now that you mention it the
driver is printing these messages at probe time which I had ignored so far:

coda 2040000.vpu: Firmware code revision: 46056
coda 2040000.vpu: Initialized CODA960.
coda 2040000.vpu: Unsupported firmware version: 3.1.1
coda 2040000.vpu: codec registered as /dev/video[3-4]

That is strange, commit be7f1ab26f42 ("media: coda: mark CODA960
firmware versions 2.3.10 and 3.1.1 as supported") was merged
in v4.14.

You are right, those messages where taken from an old 4.1 kernel and not from the latest 4.15 where they don't appear any longer. Sorry for the noise.

Do you think I should use an older version instead?

Unfortunately I have no indication that this would help.

Also, do you think it would be worth trying different parameters in the
encoder to see how the decoder responds in those cases?

Possibly. It would be interesting to know if this happens more often for
low resolutions / low quality / static frames than high resolutions /
high quality / high movement.

I can easily prepare a test matrix with several resolutions, QPs and content and let you know the results. Although first I'd like to know your opinion on whether I should update the encoder to kernel 4.15 too.

Regards,
Javier.