Re: IR Receiver on an Tevii S470

On Sun, 2009-11-22 at 19:08 +0100, Matthias Fechner wrote:
> Hi Andy,
>
> Andy Walls wrote:
> > Thank you.  I will probably need you for testing when ready.
> >

> > I was planning to do step 1 above for HVR-1800 IR anyway.
> >
> > I will estimate that I may have something ready by about Christmas (25
> > December 2009), unless work becomes very busy.
> >

> thanks a lot for your answer.
> I uploaded two pictures I did from the card, you can find it here:
> http://fechner.net/tevii-s470/
>
> It is a CX23885.
> The driver I use is the ds3000.
> lspci says:
[snip]

Matthias,

Thanks for the pictures.  OK so of the two other interesting chips on
the S470:

U4 is an I2C connected EEPROM - we don't care about that for IR.

U10 appears to perhaps be a Silicon Labs C8051F300 microcontroller or
similar:

http://www.silabs.com/products/mcu/smallmcu/Pages/C8051F30x.aspx

Since the 'F300 has an A/D convertor and has an SMBus interface
(compatable with the I2C bus), I suspect this chip could be the IR
controller on the TeVii S470.

Could you as root:

# modprobe cx23885
# modprobe i2c-dev
# i2c-detect -l
(to list all the i2c buses, including cx23885 mastered i2c buses)
# i2c-detect -y N
(to show the addresses in use on bus # N: only query the cx23885 buses)

i2c-detect was in the lm-sensors package last I checked.  (Jean can
correct me if I'm wrong.)

With that information, I should be able to figure out what I2C address
that microcontroller is listening to.

Then we can work out how to read and decode it's data and add it to
ir-kbd-i2c at least.  Depending on how your kernel and LIRC versions
LIRC might still work with I2C IR chips too.

All presupposing of course that that 'F300 chip is for IR...

Regards,
Andy