Re: [RFC, PATCH] gspca: implement vidioc_enum_frameintervals

On Thu, 19 Nov 2009 09:08:22 +0100
Hans de Goede <hdegoede@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi,

Hi, thanks for commenting on this.

> On 11/17/2009 11:41 AM, Antonio Ospite wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > gspca does not implement vidioc_enum_frameintervals yet, so even if a
> > camera can support multiple frame rates (or frame intervals) there is
> > still no way to enumerate them from userspace.
> >
> > The following is just a quick and dirty implementation to show the
> > problem and to have something to base the discussion on. In the patch
> > there is also a working example of use with the ov534 subdriver.
> >
> > Someone with a better knowledge of gspca and v4l internals can suggest
> > better solutions.
> >

> Does the ov534 driver actually support selecting a framerate from the
> list this patch adds, and does it then honor the selection ?

Yes it does, it can set framerates as per the list I added (in fact I
got the list looking at what the driver supports), and I can also see
it honors the framerate setting, from guvcview fps counter in the
capture window title. So only framerate enumeration is missing.

> In my experience framerates with webcams are varying all the time, as
> the lighting conditions change and the cam needs to change its exposure
> setting to match, resulting in changed framerates.
>
> So to me this does not seem very useful for webcams.

As long as the chips involved (bridge, ISP, sensor) are powerful or
smart enough then the camera won't have problems.
I guess that for ov534/ov538 the usb bandwidth is the limiting factor
for the framerates, as we are using a raw format.

> Regards,
>
> Hans

Btw, did you take a look at the patch anyway? Can you suggest a better
place where to put the structures needed for this functionality?

Regards,
   Antonio

--
Antonio Ospite