how to link up audio bus from media controller driver to soc dai bus?

Greetings,

I'm working on a media controller driver for the tda1997x HDMI
receiver which provides an audio bus supporting I2S/SPDIF/OBA/HBR/DST.
I'm unclear how to bind the audio bus to a SoC's audio bus, for
example the IMX6 SSI (I2S) bus. I thought perhaps it was via a
simple-audio-card device-tree binding but that appears to require an
ALSA codec to bind to?

Can anyone point me to an example of a media controller device driver
that supports audio and video and how the audio is bound to a I2S bus?

Regards,

Tim