multiple apps on a single video device

Hello,

I am running motion (security camera software) and xawtv at the same time on the same device on an old FC6 install. We need to upgrade, but I have tried several times with newer distros and none so far will let me run motion and xawtv at the same time (on the same video device that is). I have done many internet searches and came upon this list and some discussions regarding letting two applications open a video device at the same time. This gave me a hint that maybe there was a problem and the developers of V4L or bttv (or ?) put in place a lock so two programs can't access the video device at the same time (my setup works just fine btw). Is my guess right? If so, is there anything I can do to get it working again like the old version?

Sorry I don't have version numbers of the ones I tried (haven't tried a new distro in a while), but the one I have that works reports bttv as version 0.9.17 in dmesg (I'm not even sure if this version number for bttv is relevant). Kernel is 2.6.22.14-72.fc6

Below is the initial message I sent to the motion mailing list with some more details (no responses yet).

Thank you in advance for any help!

Regards,
-Moses

Hello,

I have been running motion for several years now, along with xawtv displaying the video in real time on the machine. One issue.. we are running Fedora Core 6! Its getting time to upgrade but one small problem, I have yet to find a combination that supports this. Let me explain in more detail.

Motion starts normally on bootup. I login to X and start xawtv running on the SAME video device. It just runs and displays our video in real time on the screen (4 different video streams). Now, I'm not sure the exact mechanism that makes this possible, I haven't setup any looping devices, etc.. The video in xawtv comes up normally and we can display several on the screen in various sized windows as we need. The video is in real-time, regardless of how motion is configured. I believe xawtv is using some sort of hardware overlay from the grabber device (8 chip BT878 device) to the video card (build in intel video). This setup is great, and uses almost no CPU power that I can detect.

Now the problem.. I haven't been able to duplicate this functionality on newer software. I have tried Fedora 11, 10, and another one possible 8 or 9. I believe I tried another distro a while back as well, I forget which one. None of them had the capability of running xawtv along with motion on the same device. I run the same version of motion that is working on Fedora 6, and make sure I load the same (or what I think is the same) video driver that X uses, but no luck. It has been a while since I tried this, but I believe xawtv would not run due to the video device being in use. I also tried a few other tv viewer apps during these trials, tvtime, etc.

So the questions.. Does anyone know what mechanism is it exactly that allows me to just start up an xawtv session on the same device, is is V4L, or ? Anyone running a similar setup? If so, what distro and version? Did you have to do any specific configuration?

The setup I describe works very well, I don't know of any commercial DVR systems that even come close. I have been able to add a lot of nice features using this setup.. for instance I have a script that makes xawtv go fullscreen on a video channel that has motion (if its the only one with motion). I would hate to loose all the functionality this combination provides. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

Regards,
-Moses