RE: still image capture with video preview

Hi Neil,

Interesting use case. I am thinking of doing the same for
vpfe capture drive and here is what I am thinking of doing.

1) sensor driver MT9P031 configures either full capture(2592x1944)
(No skipping or binning) and video mode (VGA or 480p or any other
resolution through skipping & binning) through S_FMT. MT9T031
driver in kernel is doing this already (except for supporting
a specific frame rate) and MT9P031 driver may do the same.

2) Application switch the video node between these two modes (video
vs still capture)

For video (may use 3 or more VGA buffers)

using S_FMT, REQBUF, QUERYBUF (optional), mmap (optional)
QBUF, STREAMON...

When ready for still capture, application do switching to still capture
by doing STREAMOFF, S_FMT, REQBUF (use USERPTR),
QBUF (one 5M buffer) and STREAMON. When finished, switch back to video
again. Here the switching time is critical and to be optimized.

BTW, are you planning to send the mt9p031 driver for review? I was looking
to see if I can re-use the same in vpfe capture. Also Are you configuring video mode in sensor driver at a specific frame rate? and finally are you using Snapshot mode in sensor for still capture?

Thanks.

Murali Karicheri
Software Design Engineer
Texas Instruments Inc.