Re: HVR-950Q problem under MythTV

On 10/29/2009 05:59 AM, Devin Heitmueller wrote:
On Thu, Oct 29, 2009 at 1:33 AM, Bob Cunningham<rcunning@xxxxxxx>  wrote:
I spoke too soon: Switching between SD and HD channels (or vice-versa)
always works the first time, but generally dies the next time I try.  The
behavior is very inconsistent:  If I switch from SD to HD 720p or higher,
the tuner goes away the next time I try to tune an SD channel.  If I switch
between SD and 480i HD channels, I can do so up to 4 times before it stops
working.

I can switch among SD channels with no problem, and I can switch between HD
channels of any resolution with no problem.  Only switching back and forth
between HD and SD causes the problem, and it always happens, sooner or
later.

Is there a way to force a "quick&  dirty" device reinitialization?  Right
now, I'm killing mythfrontend and mythbackend, re-plugging the HVR-950Q, and
restarting mythbackend and mythfrontend.  Probably overkill.  Is there an
easier way?

In this context, we are not talking about SD versus HD - we're talking
about analog versus digital.  You should have no trouble switching
between SD ATSC channels and HD ATSC channels (since the hardware
literally cannot tell the difference).  However, it's not *too*
surprising to find issues going back and forth between analog and
digital.

If I wait at least 30 seconds between changing channels, the lockups rarely occur.  I'm wondering if this may be a MythTV issue related to buffering, rather than an HVR-950Q issue.

I rarely watch LiveTV, and I'm using it now only to validate all my channels against the EPG content (correct XMLID), after which this shouldn't be a problem.

Are you sure you put both the analog and digtial video sources into
the same recording group?  If not, it's possible that MythTV will
attempt to use both the analog and digtial parts of the card at the
same time, which is not permitted by the hardware.

They are in the same group, and the digital side is opened "only when needed" (no EIT scan unless tuned).

Devin

-BobC