Re: Details about DVB frontend API

On Fri, Oct 23, 2009 at 4:12 AM, Markus Rechberger
<mrechberger@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 22, 2009 at 10:29 PM, Manu Abraham <abraham.manu@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> On Fri, Oct 23, 2009 at 12:10 AM, Mauro Carvalho Chehab
>> <mchehab@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> We all want to know about that ;)
>>>
>>> Seriously, the lack of a description of the meaning of the ranges for those
>>> read values were already widely discussed at LMML and at the legacy dvb ML.
>>> We should return this discussion again and decide what would be the better
>>> way to describe those values.
>>>
>>> My suggestion is that someone summarize the proposals we had and give some time
>>> for people vote. After that, we just commit the most voted one, and commit the
>>> patches for it. A pending question that should also be discussed is what we will
>>> do with those dvb devices where we simply don't know what scale it uses. There
>>> are several of them.
>>

>> Sometime back, (some time in April) i proposed a patch which addressed
>> the issue to scale "even those devices which have a weird scale or
>> none". Though based on an older tree of mine, here is the patch again.
>> If it looks good enough, i can port the patch to accomodate other
>> devices as well.
>>

> A few of our customers were requiring additional statistic
> information, so we added follwing
> command to our DVB API:
>
> FE_GET_SIGQUALITY
>
> struct media_sigquality {
>   uint16_t MER;                  /**< in steps of 0.1 dB
>          */
>   uint32_t preViterbiBER ;       /**< in steps of 1/scaleFactorBER
>          */
>   uint32_t postViterbiBER ;      /**< in steps of 1/scaleFactorBER
>          */
>   uint32_t scaleFactorBER;       /**< scale factor for BER
>          */
>   uint32_t packetError ;         /**< number of packet errors
>          */
>   uint32_t postReedSolomonBER ;  /**< in steps of 1/scaleFactorBER
>          */
>   uint32_t indicator;            /**< indicative signal quality
> low=0..100=high */
> }
>
> It's a one shot request.
> it might be good to standardize this, although we can live with that
> additional command too.

Based on the above data structure, since UNC is calculated from pre -
post viterbi, any good reason why you need it explicit ? Which
otherwise is redundant. Still when simplified, it looks exactly the
same as the version 3.2 frontend statistic information alone except
for the BER scale, isn't it ?

Regards,
Manu