RE: [RFC] Video events, version 2.1

Hi,

The event count may be useful for the reason Laurent mentioned. In case we
don't have dequeue multiple (DQEVENT_MULTIPLE?) a flag should be enough,
saying if there are any events immediately available. That'd be just one bit
we could mash into the 'type' field.

On the other hand I can imagine an event type that come swarming once a
client registers to them (i.e.: VSYNC). In such a case they may overflow a
queue and discard potentially useful events (i.e.: a cable detached from the
output). We could do one of the following:
 - nothing (let the above happen if the application is not fast enough to
retrieve events),
 - suggest using separate event feed for periodic events,
 - compress periodic events (provide 'compressed' flag, and stamp the event
with the timestamp of the last of the kind) - thus at most one of a periodic
event type would reside in the queue,
 - let the client define the window size,
 - define event priorities (low, normal, high) and discard overflowing
events starting with the lowest priorities. I.e.: low for VSYNC, normal for
picture decoding error and high for cable attach

Third, the event subscription scheme. What does a subscription call mean:
"Add these new events to what I already collect" or "Discard whatever I have
subscribed for and now give me this"?
In the latter use, there are just 27 event types available; can't tell if
that's enough till we try to enumerate the event types we currently have.
I've just seen a few of them (DVB, UVC, ACPI), but I think the list would
grow once people start using the v4l2 events. How big is it going to be?

Best regards
--
Tomasz Fujak