metadata node

Hi Laurent,

As you know, I'm working on a project, that involves streaming metadata,
obtained from UVC payload headers to the userspace. Luckily, you have
created "metadata node" patces a while ago. The core patch has also been
acked by Hans, so, I decided it would be a safe enough bet to base my work
on top of that.

Your patch makes creating /dev/video* metadata device nodes possible, but
it doesn't provide any means to associate metadata nodes to respective
video (image) nodes. Another important aspect of using per-frame metadata
is synchronisation between metadata and image buffers.  The user is
supposed to use buffer sequence numbers for that. That should be possible,
but might be difficult if buffers lose synchronisation at some point. As a
solution to the latter problem the use of requests with buffers for both
nodes has been proposed, which should be possible once the request API is
available.

An alternative approach to metadata support, e.g. heterogeneous
multi-plain buffers with one plain carrying image data and another plain
carrying metadata would be possible. It could also have other uses. E.g.
we have come across cameras, streaming buffers, containing multiple images
(e.g. A and B). Possibly both images have supported fourcc format, but
they cannot be re-used, because A+B now are transferred in a single
buffer. Instead a new fourcc code has to be invented for such cases to
describe A+B.

As an important argument in favour of having a separate video node for
metadata you named cases, when metadata has to be obtained before a
complete image is available. Do you remember specifically what those cases
are? Or have you got a link to that discussion?

In any case, _if_ we do keep the current approach of separate /dev/video*
nodes, we need a way to associate video and metadata nodes. Earlier I
proposed using media controller links for that. In your implementation of
the R-Car VSP1 1-D histogram engine metadata node, where did you link it
in the media controller topology? Could you provide a (snippet of a)
graph?

Thanks
Guennadi