Re: Poor reception with Hauppauge HVR-1600 on a ClearQAM cable feed

On Wed, 2009-10-14 at 09:54 +0100, Simon Farnsworth wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm having problems with glitchy reception on a HVR-1600 card using
> ClearQAM digital cable channels. Unfortunately, I'm remote from the box,
> so can't describe the visual appearance, but I do have SSH access.
>
> Looking at the output of femon -c 100 (attached as femon.txt), I'm
> seeing the occasional burst of UNC errors. I've attached dmesg as
> dmesg.txt in case it gives any clues; the v4l drivers are as in kernel
> 2.6.30 from Linus, with no extra patches.
>
> I'm using Xine to decode the channel - my channels.conf line for the
> channel in question is:
> WTAE:567012500:QAM_256:0:0:5
>
> Any ideas?

Have your remote user read

http://www.ivtvdriver.org/index.php/Howto:Improve_signal_quality

and take any actions that seem appropriate/easy.

The in kernel mxl5005s driver is known to have about 3 dB worse
performance for QAM vs 8-VSB (Steven Toth took some measurements once).

If I had access to the mxl5005s datasheet and any programming manuals, I
could probably fix this.  However, I do not have them.  Though, I have
not asked MaxLinear for them either since I don't have cable at my home
(yet).

Regards,
Andy