Re: [patch] [media] uvcvideo: freeing an error pointer

On Fri, Nov 25, 2016 at 06:02:45PM +0200, Laurent Pinchart wrote:
> Sakari Ailus (CC'ed) has expressed the opinion that we might want to go one
> step further and treat error pointers the same way we treat NULL or ZERO
> pointers today, by just returning without logging anything. The reasoning is
> that accepting a NULL pointer in kfree() was decided before we made extensive
> use of allocation APIs returning error pointers, so it could be time to update
> kfree() based on the current allocation usage patterns.

Just don't free things that haven't been allocated.  That honestly seems
like a simple rule to me, whenever I touch error handling code it feels
better and simpler after I fix the bugs.  Error handling doesn't have to
be complicated if you just follow the rules.

regards,
dan carpenter