TW2866 i2c driver and solo6x10

I have one of those rebranded chinese security dvrs, the ones with all the gaping
security holes. I'd like to fix that up and setup a good rtsp server on it, but
first comes low-level stuff, drivers and such. I've been squinting at the pcb and
ID'ing chips for a bit now, and I've figured most of them out. Looks like the actual
video processing is done on 4 tw2866 chips, though the kernel module has symbols
referring to tw2865. I've seen another driver in the kernel tree, the bluecherry
solo6x10, but that's on the pci bus. as far as I can figure, the dvr uses i2c for
them. So, what I'm wondering is would it be feasible to factor out some of the solo
functionality into a generic tw2865 driver and be able to pull from that for an i2c
kernel module? I'd really hate to have to rewrite the whole thing, duplicated code
and overworking are generally a bad idea, even if I do have a datasheet for the chip
in question