Re: dvb-core: how should i2c subdev drivers be attached?

thanks for the replys.

so, the new i2c "attach" helper code should
1. be usable for V4L2-DVB multi-functional(hybrid) tuner devices
   (or at least co-exist well with them),
2. properly ref-count driver module
   to prevent (accidental) 'unload before use' by users.
3. a. block un-binding of the device while in use,
   b. support run-time {un-,}binding of the devices
      via sysfs by users (to switch drivers?).
Is this right?

> I guess we should discuss a way of doing it that will be acceptable
> on existing drivers. Perhaps you should try to do such change for
> an hybrid driver like em28xx or cx231xx. There are a few ISDB-T
> devices using them. Not sure how easy would be to find one of those
> in Japan, though.

I'll look into those drivers' code, to begin with.
(I'm pretty sure those devices are hardly found here in Japan).

> I'm now helping to to maintain Kaffeine upstream. I recently added
> support for both ISDB-T and DVB-T2. It would be nice if you could
> add support there for ISDB-S too.

All the channels in ISDB-S are scrambled,
unlike ISDB-T(jp) where non-scrambled '1-seg' channels are delivered.
In Japan, it will be considered illegal to desramble them with
a non-authorized software that lacks private copy-guard encryption.
So, unfortunately, there will be no legitimate OSS player for ISDB-S.

regards,
akihiro