[Q] Asynchronous controls vs. events

Hi,

I need to add asynchronous control support to the UVC driver. Some UVC
cameras support some controls in asynchronous mode. For those controls a
USB status is returned to the host, but the control will only be
completed, when an Interrupt packet is sent by the device. I can see two
ways to support this:

(1) synchronously: the driver waits in S_CTRL until the interrupt packet
arrives

(2) asynchronously: the driver returns immediately and sends an event
after the Interrupt packet is received.

Question: which method would be preferred, if (2) - what error code should
the driver use to indicate, that the result of the control isn't known
yet? Or should success be returned, since a success anyway doesn't
guarantee that the specified value has already taken effect.

Thanks
Guennadi