Re: tuner, code for discuss

On Thu, Sep 10, 2009 at 1:25 AM, Dmitri Belimov <d.belimov@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi All
>
> This is my next patch.
>
> Changes:
> 1. By default charge pump is ON
> 2. For radio mode charge pump set to OFF
> 3. Set correct AGC value in radio mode
> 4. Add control gain of AGC.
> 5. New function simple_get_tv_gain and simple_set_tv_gain for read/write gain of AGC.
> 6. Add some code for control gain from saa7134 part. By default this control is OFF 7. When TV card can
> manipulate this control, enable it.
>
> Main changes is control value of AGC TOP in .initdata = tua603x_agc112 array. Use this value for set AGC TOP after set freq of TV.
>
> I don't understand how to correct call new function for read/write value of AGC TOP.
>
> What you think about it??

[patch snipped]

> With my best regards, Dmitry.

Dmitry,

The direct usage of .initdata and .sleepdata is probably unnecessary
here --  If you trace how the tuner-simple driver works, you'll find
that simply having these fields defined will cause these bytes to be
written at the appropriate moment.

However, for the actual sake of setting this gain value, I'm not sure
that initdata / sleep data is the right place for it either.  (I know
that I recommended something like this at first, but at the time I
didn't realize that there is a range of six acceptable values for this
field)

What I would still like to understand is:  Who will be changing this
value?  I see that you've added a control to the saa7134 driver -- is
this to be manipulated from userspace?  Under what conditions will
somebody want to change this value?  How will users know that they
need to alter this gain value?

Apologies for the late response.

Regards,

Mike