Re: Nova-T 500 Dual DVB-T and h.264

2009/9/10 Lou Otway <lotway@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> Eduard Huguet wrote:
>>
>> Lou Otway <lotway <at> nildram.co.uk> writes:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Does anyone have experience of using the Hauppuage Nova-T 500 with DVB-T
>>> broadcasts with h.264 and AAC audio?
>>>
>>> DTT in New Zealand uses these formats and I'm seeing poor performance
>>> from the Nova-T card. My thinking is that it was probably not conceived for
>>> dealing with dual h264 streams.
>>>
>>> Has the PCIe HVR-2200 been tested with dual h.264? I was wondering if
>>> this card might have better performance.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Lou
>>

>> Hi,    AFAIK the card just tunes to the desired frequency, applies
>> configured
>> filters (to select the desired station through its PID number), and
>> handles the
>> received transport stream to the calling application. It's up to the
>> lastest to
>> properly decode it. Check that the software you are using is properly
>> capable of
>> decoding this kind of content.
>>
>> Best regards,  Eduard Huguet
>

> Hi,
>
> the problem isn't to do with playback as I have another type of adapter card
> that creates a TS, from the same mux, that is played back with no problem.
>
> It seems that the problem only happens when using the Nova-T card.
>
> DTT in NZ has services with 1080i video format, I'm not sure that there are
> many other places in the world where 1080i h.264 content is broadcast using
> DVB-T, hence I was thinking that this combination may not have been well
> tested.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Lou

I don't know how this it works in NZ. Here in Spain there is at least
one station (TVC's 3HD) emitting HD content through TDT, and it works
flawlessly with a Nova-T 500 (as I have one). I'm not sure if contents
are 1080 or 720, though.

There were some problems watching these channels through MythTV, but
they were definitely decoding related. With current MythTV trunk they
are fine.

Anyway, as I said before, theoretically a DVB card doesn't know what
kind of streams contains the signal it tunes. Decoding & parsing is
handled by the app.

Best regards,
  Eduard Huguet