RE: Behavior of ENUM_STD/G_STD ioctl

[Hiremath, Vaibhav] Understood and agreed.

> > Now the question I have here is, how enum_std/g_std, to be more
> specific tvnorm/current_norm should be handled by driver?
> >
> > 1) During probe (or open) bridge driver should get the current
> standard which is being active from the underneath sub-device and
> update the fields tvnorm/current_norm accordingly. After that
> whenever application call enum_std/g_std the V4L2 layer can handle
> it and for s_std anyway bridge driver passing it to sub device.
> >
> > 2) Application must call s_std and that's where all the path will
> get synchronized (what sub-device has with what V4L2 layer has
> against bridge driver)
> >
> > I believe driver should follow option 1, especially in our case
> (TVP5146 video decoder) where it has a capability to lock the signal
> and return the status of detected standard.
> >
> > Can anybody conform how this should be handled?
>
> There is no common method to decide on the initial standard. In many
> cases the
> hardware is standard specific: i.e. it either supports PAL/SECAM or
> NTSC. This
> is normally decided by the tuner since most tuners are either
> PAL/SECAM or NTSC
> but not both. In that case you pick NTSC-M or PAL-BGH as initial
> standard,
> depending on the installed tuner.
>
> If there is no tuner or if it is a world-wide tuner, then most just
> pick a
> standard. Generally based on whether the developer lives in the US
> or in
> Europe :-)
>
> I don't believe that any driver attempts to query the standard on an
> input,
> but that would be OK too, although it is perhaps a bit over the top.
[Hiremath, Vaibhav] Hans, I agree with the point that we should assume one default and expects application to call s_std, but I think more or less that should be driver by how much capability your tuner/decoder provides.
But in cases where you have tuner/decoder which can detect the standard over input then why not to use that feature. And if there is not standard detected any way we fall down to default standard.

With this we can make sure that V4L2 layer (tvnorms/current_norms), bridge driver and tuner/decoder are talking on same detected standard from beginning itself.

Thanks,
Vaibhav