Re: [RFC] Infrared Keycode standardization

On Aug 27, 2009, at 1:06 PM, Peter Brouwer wrote:

Mauro Carvalho Chehab wrote:

Hi Mauro, All

Would it be an alternative to let lirc do the mapping and just let the driver pass the codes of the remote to the event port. That way you do not need to patch the kernel for each new card/ remote that comes out.
Just release a different map file for lirc for the remote of choice.

But even if lirc is opening the event device, its worth standardizing what keys send which event code. I still need to read over the entire proposal, as well as some earlier related threads, been busy with other things.

Sidenote: someone (me) also needs to stop sloughing and submit lirc drivers upstream again...

After years of analyzing the existing code and receiving/merging patches related to IR, and taking a looking at the current scenario, it is clear to me that something need to be done, in order to have some standard way to map and
to give precise key meanings for each used media keycode found on
include/linux/input.h.

Jarod Wilson
jarod@xxxxxxxxxxxx