Re: [RFC] Pixel format definition on the "image" bus

On Thu, 27 Aug 2009, Hans Verkuil wrote:

> For example a sensor connected to an fpga (doing e.g. color space
> conversion or some other type of image processing/image improvement) which
> in turn is connected to the bridge.
>
> How you setup the sensor and how you setup the bridge might not have an
> obvious 1-to-1 mapping. While I have not seen setups like this for
> sensors, I have seen them for video encoder devices.
>
> You assume that a sensor is connected directly to a bridge, but that
> assumption is simply not true. There may be all sorts of ICs in between.

No, I do not assume that, that's why in my original RFC I used "source"
and "sink" instead of camera and SoC. In your example you your FPGA is a
subdev to the SoC, and the sensor is a subdev to FPGA, right? So, what
stops you from applying my format enumeration twice? Say, first the FPGA
enumerates sensor formats and synthesises a list of output formats -
again, as "source" formats, not "user" formats, because the data is going
to be transferred to the host over the image bus, right? It would be a
different configuration if you first transfer the data from FPGA to RAM
and then let your SoC camera host take the data from there. That would be
a different configuration for the host. So, I don't see how your example
requires platform data.

Thanks
Guennadi
---