Re: [PULL] soc-camera: bulk of the v4l2-subdev conversion

On Thu, 27 Aug 2009, Hans Verkuil wrote:

> On Thursday 27 August 2009 00:44:13 Guennadi Liakhovetski wrote:

> > > Where and how is grp_id used? This seems to me to be an abuse of this field.
> > > It is really not meant to contain a pointer.
> > >
> > > I can't find any actual use of this field in this driver, so either I'm
> > > missing something or this is simply not needed at all.
> >
> > We discussed this before, here's an excerpt from your earlier reply to my
> > mail:
> >
> > <quote>
> > > In fact, what I actually need is to call a specific method, if it is
> > > implemented, from one specific subdevice, and get its error code - not
> > > from all and not until the first error. I am currently abusing your
> > > grp_id for this, but it might eventually be better to add such a wrapper.
> >
> > That's actually what grp_id is intended for (or one of the intended uses
> > at least).
> > </quote>
>
> I'm pretty sure I didn't realize at the time that you would attempt to store a
> pointer in grp_id.

Yep, sorry, I didn't mention that.

> > But, I think, since then I switched to using v4l2_subdev_call()
> > _everywhere_, so, it might well be, that this grp_id can go completely.
> > Not sure off the top of my head though.
>
> If you only use v4l2_subdev_call then you do not need to set grp_id at all.
> So these lines can be removed.

Yes, certainly looks like you're right. So, would it be enough to push a
patch removing these two lines on top of the series? Notice, there are
currently no 64-bit platforms, that use soc-camera, so, this "bug" just
adds two compiler warnings for a couple of commits in an unpractical
configuration:-)

Thanks
Guennadi
---