Re: [linux-dvb] au0828: experimental support for Syntek Teledongle [05e1:0400]

Am Dienstag, den 18.08.2009, 10:07 -0400 schrieb Devin Heitmueller:
> On Tue, Aug 18, 2009 at 7:00 AM, Johannes Stezenbach<js@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > I would be interested to know if someone _actually_ managed
> > to break their hardware by using buggy drivers.
>
> The short answer is *absolutely*.
>
> /me takes off "driver developer hat" and puts on "hardware developer hat"
>
> In a world of flash, eeproms, and software programmable clocks, there
> are all sorts of ways where a driver bug can damage the hardware.
> Looking for some simple examples?
>
> 1.  Think of the "overclocking" community and what happens when they
> reconfigure a GPU's software controlled clock to perform beyond its
> maximum expected rating without extra cooling.
>
> 2.  Think of all the reports of corrupted eeproms you read about on
> the mailing list.  Sure, in many cases a good developer can hack a way
> to reprogram the eeprom in software, but in many cases the board won't
> even come up, so you end up with an RMA.  It's not "damaged" in the
> more traditional sense, but the net effect is the same - the board is
> rendered inoperable and has to be sent back to the manufacturer.
>
> 3.  Try loading the xc3028 tuner firmware onto the low power version
> of the chip (xc3028l).  It took me a minute before I realized the
> smell of burning plastic was coming from my tuner.
>
> Don't get me wrong, in many cases things can be designed into the
> hardware to mitigate the effects of software bugs.  In any hardware
> design, your goal is to minimize the return rate, so you build
> failsafes for the most likely to occur problems.  However, in many
> cases this adds additional cost to the BOM, and you make educated
> decisions about the probability of certain classes of failure and
> instead build the reliability into the driver instead (making sure
> that the Windows driver can *never* put the hardware into a state).  A
> random open source developer doesn't know what these sorts of
> decisions were, and would not be able to replicate the corresponding
> checks in a Linux driver.
>
> 4.  Ever see a user complaint of how a tuner runs "hot" under Linux
> compared to the same device running under Windows?  Almost certainly
> an improperly GPIO configuration which resulted in a condition such as
> having the digital demod powered on at the same time as the analog
> decoder.  Sure, it will work for a while but you're running the device
> outside of the expected thermal profile and shortening the life of the
> hardware.
>
> The above are just a few *simple* examples.  The nastier ones are
> often too difficult to explain in less than fifty words.
>
> > IANAL but
> > I think that consumer electronics hardware which can be damaged by
> > software is broken by design.  A vendor selling such hardware is
> > stupid because people would return the broken hardware and get
> > a replacement.  I don't see how a vendor could proof that the device
> > was not damaged by an obscure bug in the Windows driver to get
> [...]

Hi,

again, both can be right.

I don't deny the smell you had, what a crap on the other hand.

But Johannes is right too. I did not manage to burn a single Philips
device during the last seven years.

And i did all the worst every single day ;)

So, there might be still a slight difference ...

Cheers,
Hermann