xc2028 reloads firmware every time

I'm not sure quite when this happened, since I haven't done updates in the past year.

With the older pull, I was able to load the tuner firmware for an Avermedia A16D
(SAA7134 and xc3028, using the xc2028 module) once at system start (using mplayer
to grab a few frames to ao and vo null), then it never needed to be loaded again,
which reduced to startup times to match a pcHDTV 5500 that has no firmware to load.

Have anyone changed to code to require a firmware load on each open, or is this
likely to be a side-effect of some other change?

Everything appears to be working, once the firmware is loaded, but this behavior
(several seconds of blank screen while the firmware loads) is really obnoxious
on an embedded system.