Re: About some sensor drivers in mc5602 gspca driver

On Sun, Aug 9, 2009 at 5:28 PM, Erik Andrén<erik.andren@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Erik Andrén wrote:
>>
>> Dongsoo, Nathaniel Kim wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> It has been years I've working on linux multimedia drivers, but what a
>>> shame I found that there were already sensor drivers that I've already
>>> implemented. Precisely speaking, soc camera devices from Samsung named
>>> s5k4aa* and s5k83a* were already in Linux kernel and even seems to
>>> have been there for years.
>>> But a thing that I'm curious is those drivers are totally mc602 and
>>> gspca oriented. So some users who are intending to use those samsung
>>> camera devices but not using gspca and mc5602 H/W have to figure out
>>> another way.
>>> As you know, the s5k* camera devices are actually ISP devices which
>>> are made in SoC device and can be used independently with any kind of
>>> ITU or MIPI supporting host devices.
>>> However, I see that gspca and mc5602 have their own driver structure
>>> so it seems to be tough to split out the sensor drivers from them.
>>> So, how should we coordinate our drivers if a new s5k* driver is
>>> getting adopted in the Linux kernel? different version of s5k* drivers
>>> in gspca and subdev or gspca also is able to use subdev drivers?
>>> I am very willing to contribute several drivers for s5k* soc camera
>>> isp devices and in the middle of researching to prepare for
>>> contribution those s5k* drivers popped up.
>>> Please let me know whether it is arrangeable or not.
>>> Cheers,
>>>

>> Hi Nathaniel,
>> The sensor sharing question pops up now and then and I'm sure that
>> if you search the mailing list archive you can find several threads
>> discussing this.
>> IIRC the main problem is that in an usb webcam consisting of a
>> sensor and an usb bridge. The sensor is often configured in a very
>> specific way tied to the particular usb bridge. It is also common
>> that much of the initialization is reverse engineered and that we
>> may have little or no understanding what we're actually doing.
>> (Often just mimicing a windows webcam driver).
>> I think the conclusion reached now is that it's not worth the effort
>> considering that the sensors usually don't need that much setup to
>> get working. Of course this may need to be reevaluated from time to
>> time. If someone could device a clever solution I would be all for
>> trying to create some kind of driver sharing.
>>
>> In the gspca-m5602-s5k* case everything is reverse-engineered, as I
>> don't possess any datasheets of the ALi m5602 nor the s5k83a,
>> s5k4aa. I would be much happy if you Samsung folks would be able to
>> provide with me with datasheets for the s5k* sensors.
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Erik
>>
> Resending due to UTF-8 fail.

Hi Erik,

As a matter of fact I registered at samsungsemi website as a developer
and could get access to restricted domain of devices of samsung system
lsi. It might look odd, but I work in samsung electronics but not in
the system lsi division therefor I am almost treated like other
developers as well. But one thing might be differ is that I can ask
the person in charge of the device I'm working on about what I'm
curious.
Sometimes I also do reverse engineering thing while making my driver ;-(
But I think that I possess a better position than any other S/W
engineers in developing camera drivers for samsung camera devices.
I'll see what can I do for opensource community as far as I can do.
Cheers

Nate

>>> Nate
>>>

> --

=
DongSoo, Nathaniel Kim
Engineer
Mobile S/W Platform Lab.
Digital Media & Communications R&D Centre
Samsung Electronics CO., LTD.
e-mail : dongsoo.kim@xxxxxxxxx
          dongsoo45.kim@xxxxxxxxxxx