Re: [PULL] http://linuxtv.org/hg/~awalls/v4l-dvb

> On Mon, 2009-08-03 at 08:30 +0200, Hans Verkuil wrote:
>> On Sunday 02 August 2009 20:02:30 Andy Walls wrote:
>> > Mauro,
>> >
>> > Please pull from http://linuxtv.org/hg/~awalls/v4l-dvb
>> >
>> > for the following 18 changesets.
>>
>> Hi Andy,
>>
>> I'm going to NAK this series, I'm afraid. My apologies, I should have
>> mailed
>> you that my review was delayed a bit. I quickly looked at this and there
>> are
>> several things that need to be corrected first.
>
> Hans,
>
> That's fine.  I somewhat expected you might.  :)
>
> I'm going on vacation soon and didn't want to leave all those changed
> LOC hanging around if no one had a problem with them.
>
> In my opinion all the changes can wait - no rush.
>

>> First of all any control (even private ones) should be added to
>> videodev2.h.
>> That way applications have access to the CIDs if they want to set them
>> explicitly, and it ensures that the CIDs are all unique.
>
> I was under the impression that for private range controls, the app
> could just display the string and appropraite control to the user (if
> the apps chose to do so).

Applications typically enumerate all controls. So any controls you add are
visible to e.g. tvtime or xawtv.

> All of the controls I added were very hardware specific, so I'd be
> really surprised if an app wanted to include their ID specifically.
>

>> BTW, I wonder whether we shouldn't split off all the control ID stuff
>> into a separate header as it is beginning to be a major part of the
>> videodev2.h header. Mauro, what do you think?
>
> If it reduces the complexity, it's fine by me.  And obviously, I
> wouldn't expect all the apps to start inclding the new header
> explcitily.

It should be included by videodev2.h itself since we do not want to have
to modify applications.

>> In addition they should be documented in the spec. It makes it more
>> work,
>> but it ensures that both developers and end-users can actually read
>> about
>> what these controls do. One problem we have with some of the existing
>> private controls is that they are undocumented and that's something we
>> want to avoid.
>
> That seems reasonable.  It didn't occur to me given the very hardware
> specific nature of the controls.
>

>> I also have doubts about the wishdom of about the usefulness of adding
>> secondary bass/treble/balance/mute and loudness controls. A secondary
>> volume might be necessary (I would have to reread the thread on that),
>> but the others? What's the point of two bass controls?
>
> For volume, a user thought he could get less noisy audio, if volume
> control happened in the ADC chip (WM8739).
>
> The 2 bass controls don't make sense - good point.  I was mechanically
> changing things there without thinking.
>

>> And are the other cx18_av controls really needed?
>
> They make life easier for troubleshooting - see below.
>

>>  Aren't these things
>> that it is the responsibility of the driver to setup correctly?
>
> Yes, in the general case.
>
> There are specific video sources that Tom Ryan has (Sony security
> Camera) with a CX23418 and Levante Novak has (a VCR generated OSD) with
> a CX25843/CX23416, that have trouble locking. (I only addressed the cx18
> ones at the momemnt).
>
> My problems were that for all the possible permutations of register
> tweaks that might make their system work:
>
> 1. those tweaks may not work well for the general case of a normal
> consumer device
>
> 2. v4l2-dbg is cumbersome for more than a few tests and can be useless
> without a datasheet.  That leads to a *lot* of debugging email
> exchanges.
>
> 3. The controls can enforce some sensible rules (e.g. always set the
> Chroma clamp level to mid-code) that a user/technician may not know to
> maintain using v4l2-dbg.
>
> 4. As much as I appreciate the users' willingnees to help, I don't think
> people mailing me expensive video devices to troubleshoot is a good or
> sustainable debugging model.
>

>>  And if
>> they are really needed, then we should perhaps start thinking of an
>> 'advanced' control flag to let apps know that such controls might better
>> be added to an 'advanced' control panel.
>
> Yes.  I was thinking "technician" controls.  Right now the only user
> roles we support is "operator" with the V4L2 controls, and "developer"
> with v4l2-dbg.
>
> It would be nice to support a role of someone who knows A/V systems and
> antennas and needs to do troubleshooting - hence a "technician".

This sounds like a good idea, but I'm not sure whether controls are really
the best way of doing this.

Regards,

       Hans