Re: RFC: howto handle driver changes which require libv4l > x.y ?

2009/7/7 Hans de Goede <hdegoede@xxxxxxxxxx>:
> Hi All,
>
> So recently I've hit 2 issues where kernel side fixes need
> to go hand in hand with libv4l updates to not cause regressions.
>
> First lets discuss the 2 cases:
> 1) The pac207 driver currently limits the framerate (and thus
>   the minimum exposure time) because at higher framerate the
>   cam starts using a higher compression and we could not
>   decompress this. Thanks to Bertrik Sikken we can now handle
>   the higher decompression.
>
>   So no I really want to enable the higher framerates as those
>   are needed to make the cam work properly in full daylight.
>
>   But if I do this, things will regress for people with an
>   older libv4l, as that won't be able to decompress the frames
>
> 2) Several zc3xxx cams have a timing issue between the bridge and
>   the sensor (the windows drivers have the same issue) which
>   makes them do only 320x236 instead of 320x240. Currently
>   we report their resolution to userspace as 320x240, leading to
>   a bar of noise at the bottom of the screen.
>
>   The fix here obviously is to report the real effective resoltion
>   to userspace, but this will cause regressions for apps which blindly
>   assume 320x240 is available (such as skype). The latest libv4l will
>   make the apps happy again by giving them 320x240 by adding small
>   black borders.
>

> Now I see 2 solutions here:
>
> a) Just make the changes, seen from the kernel side these are most
>   certainly bugfixes. I tend towards this for case 2)
>
> b) Come up with an API to tell the libv4l version to the kernel and
>   make these changes in the drivers conditional on the libv4l version

Solution b) sounds messy and will probably lead to a lot of error
prone glue code in the kernel.
Fast-forward a couple of libv4l releases and you will have a nightmare
maintainability scenario.

If people run an old libv4l with a new kernel and run into problem,
just tell them to upgrade their libv4l version.

My 2 cents,
Erik