cx18: MPC718 MT352 "firmware" load needs testing (Re: Acer aspire idea 500?)

On Tue, 2009-06-23 at 17:49 -0400, Andy Walls wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-06-23 at 16:59 +0100, Steve Firth wrote:
> > Just another quick update.
> >
> > I've now reinstalled the 2nd tuner card back into the ACER 500, and I
> > can confirm  that the patched drivers for the Yuan MPC718 work fine on
> > DVB-T both inside and outside of mythtv.
>
> Glad to hear it's working.

> > I don't know how your release procedures work or if further testing or
> > trials are needed but if you require me to do any e.g. regression
> > testing  just let me know
>
> I'd like to get 2 more things done:
>
> 1. Get the EEPROM dump working for the MPC-718 working properly.  It
> will hopefully be useful for identifying variants of the card in the
> future.
>
> 2. Change the function to init the mt352 DVB-T demodulator to read in a
> "firmware" file.  The init sequence in my repository was extracted from
> the windows driver.  I strongly believe I cannot have that committed to
> the Linux kernel, even though it is only 46 bytes from a 143 kilobyte
> file.  I will also have to write an extraction tool to pull the sequence
> out of the windows binary and put instructions on a wiki page.
>

> I will need you to test both of these changes when I'm ready.

Steve,

To ensure MPC-718 DVB-T support can be included in the Linux kernel, I
have checked in changes to my MPC-718 development repo to:

1. extract a "firmware" sequence from the MPC-718 Windows driver
2. load that firmware in the cx18 driver to help init the MT352 on the
MPC-718

See

http://linuxtv.org/hg/~awalls/cx18-mpc718

Please test it when you can

1. Run the get_dvb_firmware script with my changes from that repo and
install the new firmware file:

	$ cd cx18-mpc718
	$ chmod u+x linux/Documentation/dvb/get_dvb_firmware
	$ linux/Documentation/dvb/get_dvb_firmware mpc718
	$ sudo cp dvb-cx18-mpc718-mt352.fw /lib/firmware   (or wherever for your distro)

2. Compile, install, and test the updated cx18 driver from that repo.

Once we know it works for you, I can build a cleaned up patch set and
ask for it to be pulled to the main v4l-dvb repo.

I'd still like to fix (and have you test) the EEPROM dump after we know
the DVB-T changes are good.

Regards,
Andy