Re: Bah! How do I change channels?

On Fri, Jun 26, 2009 at 1:23 PM, Devin
Heitmueller<dheitmueller@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 26, 2009 at 1:19 PM, Robert
> Krakora<rob.krakora@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> I had ran into this before with the KWorld a few months back.
>> However, whatever problem existed that forced me to add
>> "no_poweroff=1" to modprobe.conf for the em28xx module has went away.
>> I have been able to use v4l-ctl or ivtv-tune without any problems to
>> tune analog channels over cable.
>
> Well, bear in mind that if you run v4l-ctl *after* the program is
> streaming it should work.  However, if you run v4l-ctl and then try to
> stream I suspect it will fail.
>
> If it's working, then perhaps I should take a look at the power
> management code in em28xx/xc2028 since I don't know why it would work
> (and perhaps the tuner is *not* being powered down like it should be).
>
> Devin
>
> --
> Devin J. Heitmueller - Kernel Labs
> http://www.kernellabs.com

Devin:

Yes, it is run after mplayer initially tunes it.  However, what is the
difference between mplayer tuning and v4l-ctl tuning?  They are both
submitting the same IOCTLs to the driver to accomplish the same end
result; or is mplayer probably submitting some additional IOCTLS to
"wake" the device?

Best Regards,

--
Rob Krakora