Re: soc-camera: status, roadmap

On Wed, 10 Jun 2009, Hans Verkuil wrote:

> On Wednesday 10 June 2009 18:45:36 Guennadi Liakhovetski wrote:

[snip]

> > 3. This also means, development will become more difficult, new features
> > and drivers will only be accepted on the top of my patch stack, bugfixes
> > will have to be accpeted against the mainline, which then will mean extra
> > porting work for me.
>
> If there is anything I can do to help this along, please let me know. In
> particular: what else besides the v4l2_i2c_new_subdev_board do you need? I
> didn't have much time in the past few weeks, but things are more relaxed
> now and I expect to be able to do a lot more in the coming weeks (fingers
> crossed :-) ).

Thanks for your offer!

Well, yes, at least we could start with these three things:

1. s_crop, g_crop, cropcap. Would be nice if you could add them just
following the standard API.

2. bus parameter negotiation. I appreciate Murali's effort, but I don't
like re-inventing the wheel. So, we should now either bring his
implementation to support _at least_ all features so far supported in
soc-camera, or you could just copy the soc-camera implementation over,
just renaming functions and macros as appropriate.

3. pixel format negotiation. The easiest would be to also just copy it
over.

These 3 points would make the porting much easier. I'll certainly be happy
to answer any questions you might get working with soc-camera code.

Thanks
Guennadi
---
Guennadi Liakhovetski, Ph.D.