Re: Terratec DT USB XS Diversity/DiB0070+vdr: "URB status: Value too large for defined data type"+USB reset

Hi Patrick,

thanks for response.

Patrick Boettcher wrote:
Hi Marco,

[...]This logs aren't very helpful, but I find something interesting with Wireshark and usbmon:
device -> host
URB type: URB_COMPLETE ('C')
URB transfer type: URB_BULK (3)
[...]
URB status: Value too large for defined data type (-EOVERFLOW) (-75)
[...]

after this URB I get a "URB transfer type: URB_INTERRUPT (1)" and all goes to hell.

Its also interesting that the URB+data length in the failure package is 39424 but "URB length [bytes]: 39480" in every package before that.

Definitely interesting. This is a known issue for the dib0700 device, which happens on some USB host controllers. Actually which one do you use?
"USB Controller: ATI Technologies Inc SB700/SB800 USB OHCI0 Controller"
Hmm, looks bad: http://www.google.com/search?q=dib0700+sb700
But I am wondering if this could really be some bigger linux USB-stack problem, because it runs with Linux/totem for hours (mplayer was wrong). For me it looks like vdr uses some feature the driver doesn't handle correctly. Isn't the EOVERFLOW some local error value from the usb stack generates if some given buffer was to small?

As I know this device works without problems under linux for other people, so I'm wondering why. I searched but found nothing about such a problem.

Yeah, but are they using 2.6.29?
I don't know.

In fact, since 2 days I'm having the T5 Terratec device, which seems to be similar to your device, I'm going to try it soon. To experience whether there are similar problems.

Do you connect the device directly to the PC or is there an extension cable or another USB hub in between?
I tried it with a longer and the short cable which was in the package, never directly and never with a hub.

Marco