Re: Licensing question regarding SN9C2028 decompression (fwd)

On Thu, 28 May 2009, Hans de Goede wrote:

On 05/27/2009 11:43 PM, Theodore Kilgore wrote:

Hans,

Here is the answer which I got about the question of GPL->LGPL licensing
in regard to the sn9c2028 decompression code.

Hmm,

Given that you did have contact with the original author years ago and
he also did ok it back then, and that large parts of the code are written
by you, I'm ok with moving forward changing the license to LGPL and then
committing the patch.

Regards,

Hans

If you think it is appropriate, I can include the mail as part of the file. I notice that this is done in some other files, for example in pac207.c. But as far as contact with the author is concerned, it is even more accurate to say that the cooperation was a two-way street. I understand that some of my LGPL code for other camera drivers has been put to use, too, in the macam project. For example, they also have drivers for the SQ cameras and the mr97310a cameras. Clearly, I do not have a problem with that any more than Harald has with my using the sn9c2028 decompression algorithm. In fact, as he called the decompression algorithm to my attention, I brought to his attention the work which I had done on those other cameras. Sorry I did not keep all the e-mails, though.

Theodore Kilgore