Re: [PULL] http://kernellabs.com/hg/~dheitmueller/misc-fixes

Moin Devin, thanks for the reply.

On Fri, 22 May 2009, Devin Heitmueller wrote:

[cut my drivel]
> The dvb core does have infrastructure to support hardware pid
> filtering.

If you don't mind, and this is a serious question, could you
give me some keywords to look for?  I've come up with some
obvious winners in dvb-usb with uppercase FILTER, but lowercase
filter didn't give me any serious Aha! moments for other
devices, in an attempt to determine device capabilities by
simple code reading.  Thanks!  (And I'll gladly eat my shoes
when it turns out to be something stupendously simple, as I'm
no code-reader)

>   I don't know too much about the DVB standards, but I know
> that ATSC is 19.39MB/s and QAM as deployed in US cable systems is
> about twice that.  Neither would fit in a 12Mbps stream.

Bleedin' 'ell, I knew things were bigger in Texas, but I
didn't know they wuz that big!  ;-)  Just kidding, I know
what you meant...

Just for background, the overall bandwidth of DVB-T will be
determined by choice of frequency at one transmitter site or
whether shared by several and how far apart, as well as other
factors that are basically able to be simplified as a tradeoff
of reliability over distance against bandwidth.  There's a wide
variance here, but in even the most widely-reaching Single-
Frequency-Networks that are meant to be received at large
distances under difficult conditions, where available overall
bandwidth is less than that of a single transmitter serving
a local area, said overall bandwidth is generally going to
exceed that which I've achieved from USB1.1.  A certain DVB-H
network with 1/2 FEC and 1/4 guard interval drops below
10 000kbit/sec but isn't likely to represent common usage
for broadcast TV services.

On the other hand, the individual services within each
multiplex will generally be well within the USB1.1 available
bandwidth, provided hardware PID filtering can be applied.
Bitrates for television services can be from some 2Mbit/sec
up to over 5Mbit/sec at times, depending on whether that
service has been configured to get the lion's share of the
bandwidth at the expense of the other services with rates
dynamically varying based on picture content thanks to
statistical multiplexing.

In any case, while I've been able to watch average-per-second
bitrates of different PIDs on different multiplexes, I've
just realized that I haven't actually used any DVB-T
receivers for any length of time on a USB1.1 port to see
if instantaneous bursts will exceed that bandwidth, as is
the case for quality services delivered via DVB-S and USB1.1.

But I've read that it's the exception rather than the rule
that a particular service will be privileged to get more
than its proportional share of overall bandwidth, to be free
of most artifacts and be watchable, so I'd be willing to posit
that a full service (video, multiple audio, PMT, teletext, and
the like) will fit onto USB1.1.

So much for background.  Anyone still bothering to read?

> If I knew of a em2874/em2884 device that also didn't use the drx, I
> would consider it worthwhile to spend the time to do the work for the
> hardware filtering.  Until that happens though, I've got better things
> to spend my time on.

No argument there.  I had a look through Herr Rechberger's
code (simply because it's had a wider variety of included
hardware, not to say anything about the linuxtv code) to get
a feel for how many devices were exclusively DVB-T, or at
least didn't include some baseband video.

It appears that a group of EM2870 devices (may well be the
2874 in reality, I just numbly scan the code) are limited
to DVB-T, including Terratec Cinergy T XS, Pinnacle PCTV DVB-T,
a couple KWorld 35xU DVB-T devices, and a Compro VideoMate.
Apart from that, all remaining devices (apart from DMB and
the like) appear to have the ability to handle analogue
signals, and need USB2.0 to reach full potential.

> filtering in conjunction with USB 2.0.  The fix is really in response
> to users with older PCs trying to capture a full ATSC stream (or
> analog capture), and being *very* confused.  If there is really a
> concern that we should be supporting USB 1.1 ports, even though USB
> 2.0 has been around for almost ten years, I guess I can add a modprobe
> option to allow the user to override the check.

I actually have dredged from the dank dingy decaying dumpster
depths or doom a machine fast enough to decode and display SD
images, even without XVMC MPEG-2 acceleration, after replacing
most of the electrolytic condensers/capacitors on the board, yet
the internal USB ports are again 1.1.  Given all the Blinkenlights
it's probably an ex-gamer machine, but compared with my machine
at some 1/7 the CPU clock, it's not as obsolete as it could be,
though that still doesn't stop me from periodically wanting to
hurl it across the room every so often.

So there are probably still a fair number of boxen out there
with internal USB1.1 ports, that would be my guess.  And while
I've added USB2.0 cards to my machines with as many ports as
possible, I still find I can take advantage of the original
USB1.1 ports, and often I need to, given how external devices
appear to breed, and external hubs are not always reliable.

If I were to have some supported em28xx device where I only
wanted part of a transport stream, I'd probably try to come
up with hacks to make it work on selected inputs when attached
to a USB1.1 port.  Rather, I have the opposite problem, that a
specific device will connect via USB1.1 yet does not perform
the hardware filtering, and as such is useless apart from a
handful of SCPC feeds, and gives no warning.  Probably I
should polish and submit the patch I made for that, although
it was merely a code comment to say this doesn't work as
advertised, rather than loudly warning the victim.

Hmmm.  I See A Great Need.  Of course, I don't mean to be
volunteering you, and for now, a give-user-loaded-pistol-
with-instructions-concerning-feed* type of module parameter
is probably adequate -- as you note, it may well suffice to
get some uncorrupted scan results amidst a heap of garbage,
but without hardware PID filtering, save for extreme cases,
probably is a knob to twist with a view to the future.

barry bouwsma

* Original typo.  I corrected it to the intended `feet', had
a bit of a think, and decided my subconscious deserves some
praise, while I'm trying to give priority to my unconscious.