Re: [SAA713X TESTERS WANTED] Fix i2c quirk, may affect saa713x + mt352 combo

Hi Mike,

On Wednesday 20 of May 2009 at 21:57:15, Michael Krufky wrote:
> I have discovered a bug in the saa7134 driver inside the function,
> "saa7134_i2c_xfer"
>
> In order to communicate with certain i2c clients on the saa713x i2c
> bus, a quirk was implemented to prevent failures during read
> transactions.
>
> The quirk forces an i2c write/read to a bogus address that is unlikely
> to be used by any i2c client.
>
> However, this quirk is not functioning properly.  The reason for the
> malfunction is that the i2c address chosen to use as the quirk address
> was 0xfd.
>
> The address 0xfd is indeed an i2c address unlikely to be used by any
> real i2c client, however, the address itself is invalid!  The address,
> 0xfd, has the read bit set -- this is problematic for the hardware,
> and causes the quirk workaround to fail.
>
> It's a wonder that nobody else has complained up to this point.

I had a problem with 0xfd quirk already (the presence caused the device not to
respond), this is why there is an exception

	msgs[i].addr != 0x40

I can check if it works with your version (0xfe), but the device behind the
address 0x40 (remote control) is very stupid, so I don't think so.

I think that better approach would be to use the quirk only for devices
(addresses) that really need it, not for all.

Cheers,
Oldrich.