Re: Making a DVB-S Transmitter

Hi Stefano,

On Fri, 8 May 2009, Stefano Danzi wrote:

Hi!!

I and some others Ham radio operators are working on a pc-based
dvb-s transmitter.

Reference website are: http://www.m0dts.co.uk/datv.htm

I read very quickly the website, interesting project :)

Interfare between pc and transmitter is based on FTDI FT245 (usb fifo).

Goal will be create a device like /dev/dvbs-tx, write into a mpeg-ts stream so
kernel module convert it to a dvb-s signal and send it to the usb fifo.

When you say, the kernel module converts it to a dvb-s signal? Do you mean you want to do a MPEG2-TS to DVB-S I/Q generator? Please describe closer what is the input format expected by the FTDI FT245.

In general I would suggest that all the busy/important parts are done in userspace. Kernel modules should generally do nothing more that to copy data AS IS from host memory to device memory.

Saying that any conversion, modulation or whatever should be done in user-space.

If you're lucky you don't even need a kernel module to write to your USB device. There is a slight chance that using libusb to write the data to your hardware is sufficient. I think I read somewhere that there is a faster way to write data to a USB device with recent kernels than libusb from userspace, but maybe it was a dream. Check linux/Documentation to see whether you can find something.

Good luck ;)
Patrick.

--
  Mail: patrick.boettcher@xxxxxxx