Re: working on webcam driver

Thanks much for the feedback!  Here's what happened:

Because the vendor id (0c45) is listed by the gspca website but not
the product (612a), I decided to try inserting the id into one of the
drivers/media/video/gspca.  When I actually grepped (had not grepped
the tree itself yet), low and behold 612a is in sonixj.  The module
compiles and responds to the camera, although the results in gstreamer,
et. al, are disappointing -- the camera is not really usable, I suspect
from the output it is the kernel driver, but I am not sure.  Since I
didn't write this stuff, I think working alone it will be more trouble
than it is worth to track the problem down, esp. if this is mostly a
problem with an (obscure) inexpensive item that few linux users
actually possess.

So, I am going to cut my "loses" early on this project and cop out.
I've learned a bunch about the kernel and in the process written some
nifty little char drivers that are probably more useful to me than a
webcam anyway. I think my time would be better spent on other things,
eg, I might become useful in someone else's (more significant) linux
kernel/driver project.  I will have a look around.

But thanks again!  You were much nicer than mr Greg Kroah-Hartman ;) :0

Sincerely, Mark Eriksen (getting his feet wet)