Preliminary results with an SN9C2028 camera

I decided recently to work on support for the SN9C2028 dual-mode cameras, which are supported as still cameras in libgphoto2/camlibs/sonix. Today, I succeeded in getting three frames out of one of them, using svv -gr, and I was able to convert two of the three frames to nice images using the same decompression algorithm which is used for the cameras in stillcam mode.

There is a lot of work to do yet: support for all appropriate resolution settings (which are what? I do not yet know), support for all known cameras for which I can chase down an owner, and incorporation of the decompression code in libv4l.

However, I thought you might like to know that some success has been achieved.

As regards "all known cameras" I have tried unsuccessfully to contact the owner of a Genius Smart 300. It is sold in Europe, not over here, and the only person I know who had one has not answered my request for further information. I suspect the reason for that is his old e-mail is no longer valid; he was a student from Armenia studying in Switzerland and may have gone home now. So, I ask the question of the list. Does anyone know an owner of a Genius Smart 300 and can get for me a USB snoop of it starting up to do streaming?

Theodore Kilgore